OSAP and Paying for Post-Secondary Education

The following are common sources of funds used by students and their families for higher education:

  1. Personal savings (from summer jobs, etc.)

  2. Help from family (RESPs & other support)

  3. Government loans & grants

  4. Private loans (lines of credit from banks, etc.)

  5. Working during the school year

Government Loans

Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP)

For more information and to apply: ontario.ca/osap

OSAP can be linked to your college and university applications. You can have OSAP receive your program information directly. To take advantage of this feature, when applying to OCAS or OUAC make sure to accept this option. It will make your application easier, faster and allow you to compare how much OSAP funding you will receive based on each program's costs.

How to Apply to OSAP:

See this link for how to apply for OSAP.

OSAP Timelines:

  • OSAP applications open typically in November the year before you start school but you can apply as late the start of your first term at college/university.

  • Applying early allows you to get an answer on your loan and grant amounts earlier. You will need to complete one application for every program you apply for however.

Financial Aid Offices

A good source for Financial Information is your College or University's Financial Aid Office. Local Offices:

Algonquin College

Address: Room C225

1385 Woodroffe Ave

Ottawa, ON K2G 1V8

Phone: 613-727-4723 EXT. 7678

eMail: financialaid@algonquincollege.com

Website: http://www3.algonquincollege.com/ro/pay/financial-aid/

Carleton University

Address: 202 Robertson Hall

1125 Colonel By Dr

Ottawa, ON K1S 5B6

Phone: 613-520-3600

eMail: awards@carleton.ca

Website: www.carleton.ca/awards

University of Ottawa

Address:Room 3156

55 Laurier Ave E

Ottawa, ON K1N 6N5

Phone: 613-562-5734

eMail: loansandawards@uottawa.ca

Website: http://www.registrar.uottawa.ca/default.aspx?tabid=2654

Work Study Programs

Once you start school, ask about Work Study Programs on your campus. These are usually run by the Financial Aid Department. Also be sure to visit the Campus Career Center to look for on-campus student jobs.


This is a unique program that allows you to convert various loyalty points (Aeroplan, AmericanExpress, TD, CIBC) into funds for tuition and/or for loan repayments at over 80 participating institutions across Canada! Visit www.higheredpoints.com for more information.